Frequent Questions

TRI reporting method

How do I report to TRI?

The Electronic Reporting Rule, effective January 21, 2014, requires facilities to submit, revise, and withdraw non-trade secret TRI forms via the TRI-Made Easy Web (TRI-MEweb) application. TRI-MEweb allows facilities to file a paperless report, significantly reduce data errors, and receive instant receipt confirmation of their submission.  In addition, EPA will no longer accept any paper based non-trade secret TRI forms that are mailed to the Data Processing Center in Fairfax, Virginia. All hard copy forms will be mailed back to the sender with a letter.

Facilities that use TRI-MEweb will have their forms for Reporting Year 2005 through the present reporting year sent simultaneously to EPA and their respective state official via the Environmental Information Exchange Network. Once a TRI submission is certified in TRI-MEweb, it will be electronically forwarded to the state officials. Once the TRI submission has been certified, your obligation to report to EPA and your state will be satisfied.

For submissions to tribes, hard copies of TRI forms must be mailed to the tribe’s Chief Executive Officer.  If tribes have entered into a cooperative agreement with states, report submissions should be sent to the entity designated in the cooperative agreement. Tribal contacts can be found at

If a facility prepares and submits a TRI RY 1991 through RY 2004 form using TRI-MEweb, they must print/save a copy of their TRI form on a disk and send it to their state or tribal TRI coordinator, even if state or tribal Country is on the TRI Data Exchange (TDX) network. TDX is not configured to transmit pre-RY 2005 TRI forms.

If you have questions about the TRI-MEweb submission process, please contact the Superfund, TRI, EPCRA, RMP & Oil Information Center at 800-424-9346. For technical software support, you may contact the CDX Hotline at or call toll free 888-890-1995. For additional information about TRI-MEweb, including tutorial, please visit:

Have more questions? Submit a request